With the increasing funding behind NDIS and Aged Care, demand for carers is at an all-time high. As a result carers are often in the position to choose their own clientele, opting to be selective regarding the customers they service. Individuals backed by government funding in desperate need of services can often find themselves with very few options for carers, or worse still without carers at all.
Over the years, both employee (carer) and client expectations have changed. Both require more security, flexibility, and choice.
Australia is leading first world nations in its approach towards choice and control for individuals who receive financial support from the government to spend on care services..
These new freedoms for individuals with care packages, free from bureaucratic controls, however, must be balanced effectively with carers and care organisation expectations of their clients.
Why is finding and retaining your carers so important?
Once you find your ideal carer it’s important to retain their services. It takes time and effort to find, interview and vet high quality carers, and to build a long-term relationship built on trust. It is a considerable waste of time, resources, and money to go through that process and start/restart a care program every few months.
Tips to retain your carers
- Be professional: it is a work place so act accordingly - be polite, ensure a clean, safe home, give regular and immediate feedback.
- Recruit local: recruit a carer that doesn’t have to travel far to provide you with care (when possible).
- Adopt a balanced approach: consider their needs as much as your own and find the balance, ie where possible, allow for flexible work hours.
- Value & appreciate: make your carer feel valued and respected. Show praise when they deserve it.
- Pay on time: pay regularly and quickly.